Marceline
ADVERTISEMENT - LOGIN OR REGISTER TO HIDE

Mickey’s PhilharMagic in DLP opening in October

Author Topic: Mickey’s PhilharMagic in DLP opening in October  (Read 3894 times)

LeeleeSTAR

• Be our guest
Re: Mickey’s PhilharMagic in DLP opening in October
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 11:47:49 PM »
Do we know where this will be? Which park (I assume studios) and which building?

DLPme

• Be our guest
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 11:57:07 PM »
The Facebook-post specifically says "Disneyland Park". According to ED92 we're talking Discoveryland Theatre (https://twitter.com/ED92live/status/997540530467860482), but oh my would this be cool to see in Fantasyland!

I must say I'm impressed with how good Disney is getting at keeping their secrets until they announce things nowadays!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:05:15 AM by DLPme »

norhel

• Substitutiary Locomotion
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 06:25:11 AM »
I think this is very good news.
I've seen it in WDW, and it's one of my favorites.
3 trips to DLP, 2 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

Zee79

• Substitutiary Locomotion
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 10:08:04 AM »
It's been announced as Discoveryland theatre so round the back and in that area Pizza planet is being replaced by an event tent.

Rocketeer

• You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!
  • Art Deco Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 10:20:53 AM »
Excellent news. Although I've never seen the show... I hear good things about it though.

Discoveryland seems an odd choice however.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

irishbhoy1888

• Hakuna Matata
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 10:57:36 AM »
Do we know where this will be? Which park (I assume studios) and which building?
This attraction will be located in the old Captain Eo  theatre in discoverland, magic kingdom.

YenSidBot

• Give a little whistle
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 01:10:08 PM »
Happy that I booked a trip for the end of seprember/October . Looking forward to experiencing a new show for Disneyland Paris :)
Next Trip 28 Sep - 5 October 18 :) :)

Rocketeer

• Art Deco Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 03:22:10 PM »
OK, using the Cinemagique theatre (no, no the WDS one) makes sense, it already has the seating etc. however it still seems a rather odd fit for Discoveryland.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

samuelvictor

• Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
  • Father/Husband/Disney Fan/Actor/Producer/Rapper
    • My IMDb Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 07:35:36 AM »
This makes complete sense. Its already exists and won't cost very much to house in the building that was already primed for 3d/4d films.

I saw the show for the first time in Magic Kingdom (Florida) in January. Its pretty good - good range of songs and characters, and impressive 3D, its a fun Disney singalong. Sorry MJ fans, but its a definite improvement over Captain EO (or nothing at all, as is now!). Can't say as I noticed the "4d" elements very much, but I liked the show. At 12mins or so it was a decent length and a fun time.

It would be easy to cheap out and just show this as a 3d movie only. I really hope they do it properly and add the proper theming to the outside and inside of the building - including the animatronic Donald and smoke effects at the end of the show.  ;D

dwonder

• Be our guest
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 04:43:38 PM »
Disney Official PR site states that the attraction will be open on Oct. 1st, in time with Mickey's 90th bday celebration
https://news.disneylandparis.com/en/2018/05/24/celebrating-90-years-of-fun-with-mickey-at-disneyland-paris/

Glad I'll be able to experience one of my favorite attractions from the MK. I was about to postpone my planned vacation in Oct due to Ratatouille/Phantom Manor being closed, but this piece of good news made me change my mind  :)

dwonder

• Be our guest
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 04:46:05 PM »
Interesting though is how they describe the show as being "3D" and not "4D". Maybe they will skip the water and smell effects? I hope not!

Remco K.

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 09:25:45 AM »
It would've been awesome if they created a new movie for this attraction, featuring a more science fiction style story. That would fit Discoveryland much better.

Budget wise that wouldn't make sense of course, as PhilharMagic at DLP is clearly a quick fix.

Rocketeer

• Art Deco Superhero
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 12:28:34 PM »
PhilharMagic has now opened in Discoveryland.

MattR

• Hakuna Matata
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 01:22:10 PM »
As expected the worst adaption of the show worldwide. They stripped it down to a 4d movie.

I don´t want to go into detail here to spoiler the show but everything except the movie itself is more or less missing. The pre-showroom has nearly no decoration and none of the PhilarMagic deco. The movie was adopted to the existing screen while a big part of the fascination for me comes from the super super super widescreen format. Of course the animatronic is also missing.

I guess it is better than nothing, now the theater is used again and not everyone has the option to go to oversea parks but for me it was a big disappointment.

ADVERTISEMENT - LOGIN OR REGISTER TO HIDE