I am looking at planning a trip to Disneyland. For a first time trip, will a week be long enough or too long?
I have done 1 and 2 day visits, this year for the first time I am doing a 3 day visit. Disneyland California is a like a bigger, more intense version of DLP, so I would say for a first timer, 3 or 4 days would be perfect.
I have written a few trip reports over the years
The main advice I would give to a first timer
1. Stay offsite at any of the motels on Harbour Boulvard
2. Get Park Hoppers
3. Book dining packages for either World of Colour or Fantasmic or both
4. Dont book dining packages for parades
5. Research Maxpass, it may or may not be of value to you
6. Dont book tickets through the official Disney website, research Last Minute Travel Club
7. There is no need to rent a car if you are just going to Disney BUT if you want to go to other places, rent a car. Check out Google maps. Disneyland is located in Anaheim, which is approx 1 hour travel on motorways south of LAX airport. Hollywood is approx 90 minutes north of Disneyland. Universal Studios is approx 90 minutes travel north of Disneyland. There is very limited and convoluted public transport between Disneyland and Universal Studios. Most people rent a car if they want to go to the other theme parks, Universal, Six Flags or Knotts Berry. The only other way I would recommend is to take the Starline bus from Disney to Universal. The downside of this is that you get there after park opening and leave before Park closing.