ADVERTISEMENT - LOGIN OR REGISTER TO HIDE

Check your VISA requirements for travel to the USA.

Author Topic: Check your VISA requirements for travel to the USA.  (Read 2399 times)

DisneyRon

• Substitutiary Locomotion
  • 2nd star to the right and straight on 'til morning
Check your VISA requirements for travel to the USA.
« on: January 28, 2017, 01:45:31 PM »
As of today, Donald Trump has signed an executive order suspending the visa waiver program indefinitely (in addition to a load of other stuff restricting entry to the USA, but this one is the most issue for the people here I imagine).

As such, you will likely not be able to use ESTA documentation to travel to the USA for a visit to a Disney Park.
You'll need a full Visa, which includes an in-person interview at the US Consulate for your country.

Expect this procedure to take time and plan accordingly, it suddenly became a lot more work to travel abroad to the USA, and probably more expensive too.

bad-pink-tink

• You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!
    • http://www.home.mjjstreet.com
Re: Check your VISA requirements for travel to the USA.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:22:17 PM »
I have booked flights and hotels for California in June. I just checked my ESTA documents. I got a new ESTA in 2016, which states valid until April 2018. A few hours ago I went onto the ESTA website and retrieved my application. As of today 28 January 2017, its saying I am still authorised to travel. The 7 countries that Trump has outright banned is getting alot more media coverage than the ESTA changes. I can find very little reports about the changes and what I do find is conflicting.

Im going to wait a few weeks, until things calm down and I am going to ring the American Embassy here in Ireland. I just cant believe this this. I wont really calm down until I am actually on the plane in June after getting my authorisation stamp in my passport at the USA Pre Clearance in Dublin Airport :(
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

DisneyRon

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:16:40 PM »
Here's the full text of the relevant section of the order:
Sec. 4. Implementing Uniform Screening Standards for All Immigration Programs.
(a) The Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, the Director of National Intelligence, and the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation shall implement a program, as part of the adjudication process for immigration benefits, to identify individuals seeking to enter the United States on a fraudulent basis with the intent to cause harm, or who are at risk of causing harm subsequent to their admission. This program will include the development of a uniform screening standard and procedure, such as in-person interviews; a database of identity documents proffered by applicants to ensure that duplicate documents are not used by multiple applicants; amended application forms that include questions aimed at identifying fraudulent answers and malicious intent; a mechanism to ensure that the applicant is who the applicant claims to be; a process to evaluate the applicant's likelihood of becoming a positively contributing member of society and the applicant's ability to make contributions to the national interest; and a mechanism to assess whether or not the applicant has the intent to commit criminal or terrorist acts after entering the United States.

(b) The Secretary of Homeland Security, in conjunction with the Secretary of State, the Director of National Intelligence, and the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, shall submit to the President an initial report on the progress of this directive within 60 days of the date of this order, a second report within 100 days of the date of this order, and a third report within 200 days of the date of this order.

We should know more in 2 months it seems.

And yes, the actual bans and its implications are what gets all the attention in the press, which is to be expected, but overall this may impact more people, just not as dramatically.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:07:01 AM by DisneyRon »

DisneyGagaChick

• Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
  • Faith, trust & pixie dust!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 03:42:24 PM »
So an ESTA isn't good enough?
LADY GAGA.♥
Disneyland Paris & Walt Disney World.♥

bad-pink-tink

• You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!
    • http://www.home.mjjstreet.com
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 04:53:53 PM »

Now that things have calmed down, everything is fine. ESTA is still valid for those of us who have always used ESTA, ie countries on the Visa Waiver Scheme. I am travelling to California is a few weeks. I checked my ESTA, which I got last year, 2016 and everything is fine, I am still authorised for entry in 2017, until the normal ESTA expiry date which is 2 years from when I got it in 2016

So dont worry, plan your USA holiday and just do ESTA as you previously have done.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

DisneyRon

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 07:32:03 PM »

It should be fine, like Tink said.
With both iterations of Trumps ban locked up in court, this rule isn't taking effect any time soon.
You may need to keep an eye on the news if they're going to get around to banning laptops/tablets in the cabins of all flights into the USA, rather than from a select set of airports, but the ESTA is still there and functional.

ADVERTISEMENT - LOGIN OR REGISTER TO HIDE