ADVERTISEMENT - LOGIN OR REGISTER TO HIDE

WDW Plan!

Author Topic: WDW Plan!  (Read 2425 times)

Ohana

• Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
WDW Plan!
« on: May 30, 2016, 08:06:40 PM »
Ok guys so I've finally bought my Britguide to Orlando book to help me with planning, and I've spent all day today after my nightshifts researching prices and pricing up various holidays.

Currently looking at booking through the WDW website for mid September 2017. The current deal I can see is that you get free breakfast with a value resort and free quick service dining plan with a moderate resort - although you get the option to upgrade. In this you also get 7 nights for the price of 14, and the memory maker photopass thing for free also.

The cost of the value resort plus the extra £900 or so it costs to upgrade to the Disney Dining plan (1 quick service and 1 table service meal, 1 snack and 1 drink refill per person per day) is around £2900 for us both (looking at All Star Movies Resort). Flights obviously not included as have not been released yet.

So I have several questions about this, for any WDW experts/semi-experts on this forum.. see this seems like an amazing deal to me, as a first-timer, but I don't want to rush into anything if this isn't actually the best deal I can get.

1. Do they always do 7 nights for the price of 14 or is it a limited time thing?

2. Are dining plans always available as a free option also?

3. Is a dining plan worth it? I'm thinking it seems better than the half/full board options at DLP because of the flexibility of it all, the fact that I could just go to the shop on my last day and get 14 bags of sweets with my snack credits to take home. Plus the fact that I want to eat at so many of the places - pretty much all of the character dining, many of the themed restaurants and even the counter service places look incredible.

4. If I do book this, can I then book flights through a separate company but still have it all be nice and easy on the day? And is it cheaper to book the flights separately or is it better to wait until Disney release them?

5. Do you get free breakfast? Because before I selected to upgrade it said free breakfast included in the deal - will I need to be using my dining plan vouchers for breakfast or will there also be a free one in the hotel like in DLP?

6. Is the WDW website the best place to book the holiday or are there better places to book? I was looking at Virgin but it didn't seem to have any dining plan option for value resorts, not even the free breakfast option that the WDW website offered?

7. Am I better booking now for September 2017 or waiting a while longer?

Thanks guys :)
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

DisneyRon

• Substitutiary Locomotion
  • 2nd star to the right and straight on 'til morning
Re: WDW Plan!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 08:50:03 PM »
1 & 2) no idea, the UK super-tickets aren't available in the Netherlands, as is booking directly through Disney.

3) That'll depend on a lot of things. I personally loved having the Deluxe dining plan, which is expensive (and I doubt I "made a profit" on having it), but the convenience is amazing. Also, Snack Credits buy drinks in the parks, I was basically burning a majority of my points on big unsweetened Iceteas. :D
However, the range of stuff covered by the snack credits has been expanded a great deal since the start of this year. They're worth a LOT more (up to $7,50 I think), and there's more to select too.

As for your info on the plans: The drink refill, that's unlimited, not 1 per day (you get 1 mug per person, they're each valid for 14 days from the 1st day of use). But the fountains that support refills are only available at the resorts, not in the parks, so they're mostly something for the mornings and evenings.

A number of character dining options are 2 credits each (as are the Signature dining options), you'll need to plan quite a bit to get enough points for these expensive meals, so you'll be paying for a fair number of meals as a result.

(breakfast is cheap, pay for that all the time, don't waste points on it).

4) You likely can, but I don't have personal experience with it. I had a travel agency arrange the whole thing.

5) As far as I'm aware breakfast is NOT included by default.
It may be part of an offer perhaps, but by default you'll be paying for breakfast at all times.

6) unknown, my apologies.

7) you'll want to have access to your booking page on the MyMagic plus website by the time your 6 month booking window opens up (you'll want to book certain restaurants on that day, or you'll miss out). This usually means having everything paid up before then. So booking early can be beneficial.

daddyof2

• You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 09:32:09 PM »
Firstly, Disneyron is one of my "go to" advisors on WDW on here - did you read his trip report from last year? I too bought the Britguide recently but I've also checked out the easywdw.com and allears.net websites - both full of good info. Did you also ask for your free planning tools from the WDW website? They're nice to have.

OK, I'm far from an expert but here's my responses...

1) and 2) No, these are not always available but the 14 day tickets for the price of 7 isn't that big of a deal. The dining, as I'm sure you've realised can be a big saving (as much as £1500 for a family of 4)

3) Having never done WDW, I can't really answer but I agree that it seems like better value than DLP

4) Yes, you can book your flights/transfers/hire cars separately and that will often work out cheaper but sometimes its nice to know you have a one stop shop for everything. This is especially true if things go wrong with any one part.

5) No, breakfast isn't included like it is at DLP (unless I missed something)

6) I don't know the answer to this either, you might want to try and do a price comparison. Or find a travel agent - that's the sort of thing they're meant to be good at

7) I'm not sure you'll get any better deals between now and September, and as Disneyron says you can book restaurants up to 180 days in advance - and some of these do get fully booked up from what I've read.

Puffin

• Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 10:44:41 PM »
I'm not UK-based either but this sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

We just returned from a 14-day trip to WDW and it was sooooo magical. We didn't opt for one of the dining plans as it seemed to be limiting our options and it's hard to make a profit from it if you want to eat where and what you want.

There's a lot (maybe even too much) websites that can help you plan your trip: wdwmagic.com and wdwinfo.com next to the ones that @daddyof2 mentioned. The information and suggestions on these websites can be sometimes overwhelming, so don't forget part of the fun is just to go there and discover it all yourself.  ;)
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay

A&S&O

• You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 02:39:43 PM »
It all depends if you want to stay onsite and eat at all the Disney restaurants.

If you stay offsite and try the many, many restaurants outside the park, it will be markedly cheaper. We've just booked for Easter 2017, indirect flights, staying offsite (including breakfast), full size SUV, 20 nights, 3x Adults + 1x 12 year old. Cost = £3400

Also, price depends on when you go - school holidays, peak times etc.

Don't forget park ticket prices too.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

ADVERTISEMENT - LOGIN OR REGISTER TO HIDE