ADVERTISEMENT - LOGIN OR REGISTER TO HIDE

very excited - WDW planning starts here

Author Topic: very excited - WDW planning starts here  (Read 8080 times)

Puffin

• Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
Re: very excited - WDW planning starts here
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 06:27:50 PM »
And I feel that even though there's a commute time, it wasn't any problem.

I'm visiting WDW for the first time later this year. Finding reliable information on the commute system and travel times was one of the hardest nuts to crack. From an American point of view it seems like it's a huge mission to get from point A to B as they prefer to travel by car, but as a European I presume that it might be all quite doable. But anyway, I'll have to experience the commutes myself to know my truth. :)
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay

DisneyRon

• Substitutiary Locomotion
  • 2nd star to the right and straight on 'til morning
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 06:39:03 PM »

^^^This. Well written.

Thank you.

I later considered that I spent a lot of time basically repeating something that EasyWDW has written out much more thoroughly.
Each of the following article is an almost exhaustive breakdown and ranking of the resorts in a whole bunch of categories (including transportation to the parks etc.), and deciding on a final overall ranking.

These are all quite long, but they're very well written in my opinion, and I've used the Moderate Resort one to pick my location to stay for my first visit in May 2015.

Best Value Resorts
Best Moderate Resorts
Best Deluxe Resorts

To be fair, EasyWDW provided me with a ton of info that I made good use of.
Their crowd calender is really handy as well for instance.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:35:50 PM by DisneyRon »

norhel

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 07:05:47 PM »
And I feel that even though there's a commute time, it wasn't any problem.

I'm visiting WDW for the first time later this year. Finding reliable information on the commute system and travel times was one of the hardest nuts to crack. From an American point of view it seems like it's a huge mission to get from point A to B as they prefer to travel by car, but as a European I presume that it might be all quite doable. But anyway, I'll have to experience the commutes myself to know my truth. :)

Yeah, Americans do love their cars. I know that, at least for me, when I'm on holiday at WDW, I don't stress using the transport system. And to be honest, when I'm on a Disney bus, I kinda enjoy traveling on the bus. It's something about just relaxing on the bus, listen to the music and spiel.

But don't stress. Take your time. And IF you should use a car at WDW, be advised that you can't park directly in front of the Magic Kindom. You have to park at the Transportation and Ticket Center and then take either the resort or express monorail or the boat. For my first time at WDW, I wasn't too sure about their transport system, but it worked out well after a while. And a another tip, if you got the time when you get there, take a Monorail trip on the resort line and visit the resorts, or take one of the boats that go outside the gates at MK to some of the resorts. And there's also boats going from Disney Springs to some resorts.

And also, can this links to WDWINFO.COM help?
http://www.wdwinfo.com/transportation/bus_schedules.htm
http://www.wdwinfo.com/transportation/monorail.htm
http://www.wdwinfo.com/transportation/water.htm
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/Parking.htm
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/miles.htm
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:10:30 PM by norhel »
3 trips to DLP, 2 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

norhel

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 07:09:25 PM »

^^^This. Well written.

Thank you.

I later considered that I spent a lot of time basically repeating something that EasyWDW has written out much more thoroughly.
Each of the following article is an almost exhaustive breakdown and ranking of the resorts in a whole bunch of categories (including transportation to the parks etc.), and deciding on a final overall ranking.

These are all quite long, but they're very well written in my opinion, and I've used the Moderate Resort one to pick my location to stay for my first visit in May 2015.

Best Value Resorts
Best Moderate Resorts
Best Deluxe Resorts

To be fair, EasyWDW provided me with a ton of info that I made good use of.
Their crowd calender is really handy as well for instance.

I'm not sure if it's my computer, but it might be something wrong with the links you provides.

daddyof2

• You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 08:02:37 PM »
The links don't work for me either, but I really appreciate the responses. It's easy to see where the hotels are but not so easy to work out the ease/difficulty of travelling around WDW. I hadn't considered the size of the moderates, though to be honest the overall scale is probably beyond my imagination hahaha

DisneyRon

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 09:36:53 PM »
I'm not sure if it's my computer, but it might be something wrong with the links you provides.

The links don't work for me either, but I really appreciate the responses. It's easy to see where the hotels are but not so easy to work out the ease/difficulty of travelling around WDW. I hadn't considered the size of the moderates, though to be honest the overall scale is probably beyond my imagination hahaha

My apologies, made a mistake in creating the links, they're fixed now, and will open to the pages they should. :)

daddyof2

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 11:09:08 PM »
Ron, good tip for the EasyWDW site. Thanks

grovesie

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 08:33:01 AM »
When we went for the first time we also used allears.net.
Santa Fe 04
Disneyland 08
Cheyenne 09
Disneyland 09
Cheyenne 10
Newport Bay 10
Cheyenne 11
Disneyland hotel 11
Disneyland hotel 12
Disneyland Hotel 12
WDW- Dolphin resort March 13
Disneyland Hotel Dec 13
Sequoia Feb 14
Cheyenne April 14
Disneyland hotel Jul 14
New York Hotel Oct 14
WDW Mar 15
Sequoia Jul 15
Disneyland Hotel Dec 15
Disneyland Hotel Feb 17

DisneyRon

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 09:12:32 PM »
When we went for the first time we also used allears.net.

I quite like All Ears as well, now that they've updated the layout it's pretty nice, much more user-friendly.

Ron, good tip for the EasyWDW site. Thanks

Preparing is literally everything for a WDW visit. Make sure you have the stuff you really want to do planned (and preferably locked in) well beforehand. Fast Pass+ is nice, but it also means that Stand-by Waiting Times are murder when the parks are even the slightest bit crowded. :)

daddyof2

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 09:38:41 AM »
OK...think my hotel choices are narrowing down. Are there "set" deals (like the DLP recurring ones) that I should look out for? Are the dining plans necessary and/or worthwhile? I'm still premature with my planning, so I'm in no rush

DisneyRon

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2016, 09:52:41 AM »
OK...think my hotel choices are narrowing down. Are there "set" deals (like the DLP recurring ones) that I should look out for? Are the dining plans necessary and/or worthwhile? I'm still premature with my planning, so I'm in no rush

The Free Dining Plan offers are really popular.
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2016/04/14/news-disney-world-free-dining-plan-offer-may-be-coming-soon/

As for other fixed offers, not sure.

As for the Dining Plan being worth it... That's tricky to say.
It's certainly convenient, I had the Deluxe Dining Plan on my visit, and while it's expensive, it's really easy not having to worry about the cost of food, only the cost of tips (18% by default, ouch).

Is it cheaper than paying as you go?
Especially on the Standard Dining Plan, I doubt it.
Though Disney has recently started making the price for Lunch and Dinner the same (usually the Lunch menu was cheaper), which makes it a little more attractive.
But if you want to do character meals (which are usually 2 credits on the Dining Plan), then paying as you go is probably cheaper for a family.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:56:47 AM by DisneyRon »

norhel

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »

I'm not sure if the dining plan is worthit or not, but on a podcast I listen to, one of the guys in there gave the advise to check the prices on a a large carte basic vs buy a package as it sometimes may be a discounton the room that you don't get in a package (for example).

grovesie

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 02:05:07 PM »
We have been to WDW twice, 1st without a dining plan and the second with. For us( family of 5) it was easier with the plan. saves a lot of ensuring you have enough cash for dinner. Un like DLP all the restaurants in Downtown accept the plan vouchers. The only concern was ensuring you kept an eye on what was redeemed etc. This only lasted a few days.
Santa Fe 04
Disneyland 08
Cheyenne 09
Disneyland 09
Cheyenne 10
Newport Bay 10
Cheyenne 11
Disneyland hotel 11
Disneyland hotel 12
Disneyland Hotel 12
WDW- Dolphin resort March 13
Disneyland Hotel Dec 13