Marceline
ADVERTISEMENT - LOGIN OR REGISTER TO HIDE

very excited - WDW planning starts here

Author Topic: very excited - WDW planning starts here  (Read 7689 times)

15stitch

• Hakuna Matata
very excited - WDW planning starts here
« on: April 05, 2016, 02:34:16 PM »
I'm sooooo excited!  I've just book a WDW trip for April next year.

Staying in Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort with my son (who will be 4 then).

I'm hoping our DLP blues won't be as bad this year as we have this to look forward to!
1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 - DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Caribbean Beach Resort)

norhel

• Substitutiary Locomotion
Re: very excited - WDW planning starts here
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 04:08:33 PM »
I'm sooooo excited!  I've just book a WDW trip for April next year.

Staying in Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort with my son (who will be 4 then).

I'm hoping our DLP blues won't be as bad this year as we have this to look forward to!

Have a great time! Lot's of fun to do at WDW :-)
3 trips to DLP, 2 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

Puffin

• Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 04:51:21 PM »
Always fun to have a Disney holiday to look forward to. I'm counting down to my first ever visit to WDW. Soooo excited.  8)
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay

DisneyRon

• 2nd star to the right and straight on 'til morning
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 04:54:46 PM »
Congratulations on the upcoming trip. :D

Be sure to ask for a room relatively close to the main bus connections, or it'll be a very long walk to take a bus to the parks every day. ;) If you're in the wrong spot you could be as much as a mile away from the main building.

15stitch

• Hakuna Matata
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 05:12:36 PM »
Thanks everyone  :D
1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 - DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Caribbean Beach Resort)

daddyof2

• You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 04:05:04 PM »
I'm thinking of WDW for Summer 2018 - any recommendations of the deal/s I should be looking for? And where should we stay? The Hotels all look amazing

wimmekepunk

• Give a little whistle
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 04:33:27 PM »
Hope you'll have a great time.

We'll be there the second half of September and are staying in Saratoga Springs.
dec2018 WDW Pop Century+Old Key West
oct2018 DLP Sequoia
jun2018 DLP Sequoia
apr2018 DLP Sequoia
sep2017 DLP Off Site
jan 2017 DLP Sequoia
oct 2016 DLP Sequoia
sep 2016 WDW Saratoga Springs
jun 2016 DLR Off Site
apr 2016 DLP Sequoia
jan 2016 DLP Sequoia
dec 2015 DLP Sequoia
oct 2015 WDW Off Site
jun 2015 WDW Off Site
apr 2015 DLP Sequoia
oct 2013 DLP Off Site
apr 2013 DLP Off Site
mar 2013 WDW Bay Lake Tower
dec 2012 DLP Off Site
oct 2012 DLP Off Site
apr 2012 DLP Off Site

DisneyRon

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 05:23:44 PM »
I'm thinking of WDW for Summer 2018 - any recommendations of the deal/s I should be looking for? And where should we stay? The Hotels all look amazing

From a pure "ease of movement" perspective staying at Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside is best, they're among the smallest resorts, but they're really centrally located and have their own dedicated bus-loops, meaning that all parks are relatively close in terms of travel time.
French Quarter is fairly light on amenities (no table-service restaurant, fairly small pool), but Riverside is a short walk away. It has a nice layout, and the boat connection to Disney Springs / Downtown is really nice.

daddyof2

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 08:56:09 PM »

From a pure "ease of movement" perspective staying at Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside is best, they're among the smallest resorts, but they're really centrally located and have their own dedicated bus-loops, meaning that all parks are relatively close in terms of travel time.
French Quarter is fairly light on amenities (no table-service restaurant, fairly small pool), but Riverside is a short walk away. It has a nice layout, and the boat connection to Disney Springs / Downtown is really nice.

Thanks Ron, I read your report from last year - I do quite like the look of the Port Orleans resort. However, I'll be travelling with young children so I'm leaning towards either the Animal Kingdom Lodge or one of the resorts close to the Magic Kingdom. I suppose it probably doesn't matter too much because of the travel options, though..

DisneyRon

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 09:28:33 PM »
I imagine one of the MK resorts will be your best bet then, if you're at AKL it's a very long ride to MK, and I assume young kids want to go there the most.

grovesie

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 09:50:14 AM »
 I would agree with DisneyRon. We stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside and found it to be central to all parks. We have also stayed at the Swan And Dolphin which were great for Epcot and Hollywood studios( both a boat ride away). Bear in mind that if you are close to one park you may have a longer journey to the others.  Where ever you stay I'm sure you will have a great time.
Santa Fe 04
Disneyland 08
Cheyenne 09
Disneyland 09
Cheyenne 10
Newport Bay 10
Cheyenne 11
Disneyland hotel 11
Disneyland hotel 12
Disneyland Hotel 12
WDW- Dolphin resort March 13
Disneyland Hotel Dec 13
Sequoia Feb 14
Cheyenne April 14
Disneyland hotel Jul 14
New York Hotel Oct 14
WDW Mar 15
Sequoia Jul 15
Disneyland Hotel Dec 15
Disneyland Hotel Feb 17

Puffin

• Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 11:38:35 AM »
If you're there more than just a few days, you might consider staying in two different hotels. It's nice to experience two completely different atmospheres and they will both be close to different parks.
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay

daddyof2

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 03:48:34 PM »
Are any of the hotels close enough to any parks so as to get a huge benefit from the price differences? I mean, the Art of Animation resort looks good and is one of the more affordable but seems so far from the main bits of WDW. None are as close to a park at WDW as DLH is to DLP, but does that matter? Argh - too much choice!

DisneyRon

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 05:08:25 PM »
Are any of the hotels close enough to any parks so as to get a huge benefit from the price differences? I mean, the Art of Animation resort looks good and is one of the more affordable but seems so far from the main bits of WDW. None are as close to a park at WDW as DLH is to DLP, but does that matter? Argh - too much choice!

As for closest hotels relative to the different parks:

Magic Kingdom: The Contemporary and The Grand Floridian (monorail, both very close. GF also offer a boat-ride, the Contemporary is about 5-10 minutes walk away).
The Polynesian is just a tiny bit further away, but it's still a short boat or monorail ride.
Note, these are the 3 most expensive resorts at WDW.

EPCOT: Yacht Club and Beach Club resorts are basically on top of the back door of EPCOT, a short walk or ride by boat away. Boardwalk Inn is slightly further away.

Hollywood Studios: None super close to the entrance, Swan & Dolphin are closest, but this is a 1-day park at most until the Star Wars area is done anyway. It's a bit anaemic if I'm honest, especially now.

Animal Kingdom: Animal Kingdom Lodge is a short bus ride away, it's outside walking distance, because the grounds of this resort are massive, thanks to the savannah area they have.

As for any of these being worth the increased cost over the added convenience... I'd say no.
The Contemporary is maybe the only exception, but it's an expensive place to stay for the convenience of being that close to MK.

The cheapest resorts are the furthest away from the parks in general, the moderates tend to be somewhere in between, though with the moderates you need to be wary of the size of the resorts themselves.
Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach are both enormous, to the point that they have internal transportation.
And unless you're close to the main building you're looking at a long walk (or waiting for a bus) before you can get on a bus to a park in the morning.

The Deluxe Resorts are generally closer to one of the parks, but that does tend to mean it's a long way from another.

AKL may be an exception, though it is far from basically anything that's not Animal Kingdom, it has direct bus-lines to almost everywhere else, meaning that overall travel-time is shorter than average. Wilderness Lodge is quite similar, lots of direct bus rides to parks, with its only weaker connection being to EPCOT, which it shares with Fort Wilderness.

norhel

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 05:59:02 PM »

As for closest hotels relative to the different parks:

Magic Kingdom: The Contemporary and The Grand Floridian (monorail, both very close. GF also offer a boat-ride, the Contemporary is about 5-10 minutes walk away).
The Polynesian is just a tiny bit further away, but it's still a short boat or monorail ride.
Note, these are the 3 most expensive resorts at WDW.

EPCOT: Yacht Club and Beach Club resorts are basically on top of the back door of EPCOT, a short walk or ride by boat away. Boardwalk Inn is slightly further away.

Hollywood Studios: None super close to the entrance, Swan & Dolphin are closest, but this is a 1-day park at most until the Star Wars area is done anyway. It's a bit anaemic if I'm honest, especially now.

Animal Kingdom: Animal Kingdom Lodge is a short bus ride away, it's outside walking distance, because the grounds of this resort are massive, thanks to the savannah area they have.

As for any of these being worth the increased cost over the added convenience... I'd say no.
The Contemporary is maybe the only exception, but it's an expensive place to stay for the convenience of being that close to MK.

The cheapest resorts are the furthest away from the parks in general, the moderates tend to be somewhere in between, though with the moderates you need to be wary of the size of the resorts themselves.
Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach are both enormous, to the point that they have internal transportation.
And unless you're close to the main building you're looking at a long walk (or waiting for a bus) before you can get on a bus to a park in the morning.

The Deluxe Resorts are generally closer to one of the parks, but that does tend to mean it's a long way from another.

AKL may be an exception, though it is far from basically anything that's not Animal Kingdom, it has direct bus-lines to almost everywhere else, meaning that overall travel-time is shorter than average. Wilderness Lodge is quite similar, lots of direct bus rides to parks, with its only weaker connection being to EPCOT, which it shares with Fort Wilderness.

^^^This. Well written.

---------

I've been to WDW twice, and stayed at All Star Sport both times. And I feel that even though there's a commute time, it wasn't any problem. And with the transport system WDW has, I think I would think several times before I stay at a hotel close to the park. If you are close to one park, you are still a bit a way from the others.
3 trips to DLP, 2 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

ADVERTISEMENT - LOGIN OR REGISTER TO HIDE