Marceline
ADVERTISEMENT - LOGIN OR REGISTER TO HIDE

LA / Disneyland California June 2016 Pre Trip Planning

Author Topic: LA / Disneyland California June 2016 Pre Trip Planning  (Read 5069 times)

bad-pink-tink

• You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!
    • http://www.home.mjjstreet.com
LA / Disneyland California June 2016 Pre Trip Planning
« on: January 06, 2016, 09:01:51 PM »
So its time to make this official, I have just booked my flights to LA for June 2016. This will be my 8th year to visit LA and California.

Irish airline Aer Lingus have a new route, Dublin to LAX direct starting in May so I decided to try that this year. As I have booked 6 months out from departure date, I got a great deal and I was able to book my seats in advance too. Another bonus of flying direct from Dublin is USA Pre Clearance. This means that there is USA Homelands Security at Dublin airport and my passport gets stamped before I get on the plane so that when I arrive in LAX I just go straight to baggage claim, same as an internal domestic flights :)

This year I plan to go to Universal Studios as well as Disney. I cant wait to see the new Harry Potter land.

Most likely I will stay at the same hotels I did last year, they worked out really well transport wise, as I dont drive.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

stifle

• Substitutiary Locomotion
Re: LA / Disneyland California June 2016 Pre Trip Planning
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 09:39:40 PM »
Hehe, Aer Lingus is finally bringing that route back. My then fiancée (now wife) and I flew it in 2006 to go to Anaheim.

bad-pink-tink

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:14:01 PM »
Yes its finally back, Ive been waiting for this, as its a bit of a pain to go via Heathrow :) and I get pre clearance too. The prices are really cheap atm and the plane is almost empty, so if you know someone thinking of going to LA, now is the time to book flights

bad-pink-tink

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 03:23:18 PM »
Time for some up dates :)

I dont drive so I use public transport. Last year I got a TAP card which is basically the same system as the Oyster Card in London. Like the Oyster Card it can be used on both underground and buses. I will be using pay as you go and will just put the money on at a machine in the Metro station, exactly the same as using Oyster Cards in London.

I have also updated my ESTA. Just an FYI for anyone doing ESTA in 2016. They changed the layout of the application and added some extra information sections. 

Hotels now booked
As usual I am doing a 2 part trip. The fist part is 6 days in LA. I am returning to Downtown LA but to a different hotel. The hotel is 1 block from the Red Line Metro and 2 blocks from a bus route I want to use.

While in Downtown LA I will use the Metro to visit Universal Studios. Very excited about this as the new Harry Potter Land is finally open. I have bought a one day ticket online from the Universal Studios website and plan to get the Metro direct to City Walk and the park. My plan is to get there around 9am and stay until park closing which is 8pm. Everything I have been reading about the new Harry Potter Land is that mornings are the busiest with long lines so I will do the rest of the park first and then head to Harry Potter Land after 3pm.

I will also use the Metro to go to Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Hollywood and Hyland shopping Mall.

I have checked out the bus routes and other places I plan to visit is The Grove and Farmers Market, as well as LA Live, Grammy Museum and Staples Centre in Downtown LA.

The second part of my trip is Disney. There is a direct bus from outside my hotel to Disney. It takes about 2 hours but thats ok.

I have booked the same hotel as previous years, Motel 6 in Anaheim. Yes its basic but it suits me as I spent over 12 hours each day in Disney.

Just a few things left to do. I need to book Supershuttle transport from and to LAX and I need to coordinate schedules with my friends in LA so that they can book time off work

bad-pink-tink

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:06:49 PM »
wow, the weeks are flying by, some more updates

I found a great website for discount vouchers http://visitanaheim.org/deals/coupons Theres different sections, activities, dining, transport etc. I have printed off some vouchers for some restaurants.

I have now booked my transport from / to  the airport www.supershuttle.com with a 10% discount from the above website.

I have booked World of Colour Dining package at Wine Country Trattoria. There is only one night time water show this year, in California Adventures Park, as Rivers of America where Fantasmic is held is closed, same as in Disneyland Paris.  I have never eaten here, so this is new for me, and I have found out that they serve GlowTini's even though its not advertised in the online menu  ;D

I have also booked Blue Bayou, the restaurant in Pirates.

Restaurants are booked online from 60 days out, and you have to give credit card details to reserve.

I have started putting together my daily plan for the parks now that I have my restaurants booked.

wimmekepunk

• Give a little whistle
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 10:23:32 PM »
We're also going to LA for a week (10th till 17th June).

We have booked Monday night till Friday morning in the Clarion Anaheim.

We have already also booked dinner in Napa Rose on Monday, dinner in Café Orleans on Tuesday, breakfast in Ariel's Grotto on Wednesday and breakfast in PCH Grill on Friday.

We still need to book the shuttles. We might also go for the Wine County Trattoria World of Colour Dining package, we did it last time we were over there and thought it great.
may2019 DLP Sequoia
apr2019 DLR offsite
dec2018 WDW Pop Century+Old Key West
oct2018 DLP Sequoia
jun2018 DLP Sequoia
apr2018 DLP Sequoia
sep2017 DLP Off Site
jan 2017 DLP Sequoia
oct 2016 DLP Sequoia
sep 2016 WDW Saratoga Springs
jun 2016 DLR Off Site
apr 2016 DLP Sequoia
jan 2016 DLP Sequoia
dec 2015 DLP Sequoia
oct 2015 WDW Off Site
jun 2015 WDW Off Site
apr 2015 DLP Sequoia
oct 2013 DLP Off Site
apr 2013 DLP Off Site
mar 2013 WDW Bay Lake Tower
dec 2012 DLP Off Site

bad-pink-tink

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 10:34:56 PM »
oh cool wimmekepunk

I havent eaten in any of them, would be interested to read your experiences when you get back :)

Theres lots of refub this year, Rivers of America and the trains closed this year year for the new Star Wars Land construction. That will be interesting, as the train comes in handy for transport around the park. Im looking forward to Peter Pan, it was in refurb last year and on my trip last year had just re opened for AP holders only. It was really not fun seeing all the APs being able to ride it and us mere mortals not

The last time I  saw WOC I just got a fast pass, I did the Fantasmic package last year.

Have you seen Paint the Night yet? Check out my last years trip report for the best place to see it and the fireworks.

wimmekepunk

• Give a little whistle
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »
The (table service) restaurants are for us also part of the experience and we try to do them all spread out over our many trips.

I had read on the refurbishments caused by the creation of Star Wars Land. I think the Star Wars impact is even greater on Disney World's Hollywood Studios we're visiting second half of September.

Peter Pan is one of the attractions my wife no longer is allowed to do so I only do it when I have a fast pass.

We haven't seen Paint the Night yet since our last trip over there was 2011 (so we haven't seen Cars Land either).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:09:52 AM by wimmekepunk »
may2019 DLP Sequoia
apr2019 DLR offsite
dec2018 WDW Pop Century+Old Key West
oct2018 DLP Sequoia
jun2018 DLP Sequoia
apr2018 DLP Sequoia
sep2017 DLP Off Site
jan 2017 DLP Sequoia
oct 2016 DLP Sequoia
sep 2016 WDW Saratoga Springs
jun 2016 DLR Off Site
apr 2016 DLP Sequoia
jan 2016 DLP Sequoia
dec 2015 DLP Sequoia
oct 2015 WDW Off Site
jun 2015 WDW Off Site
apr 2015 DLP Sequoia
oct 2013 DLP Off Site
apr 2013 DLP Off Site
mar 2013 WDW Bay Lake Tower
dec 2012 DLP Off Site

twentythingamabobs

• Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 11:39:27 AM »
Ah I loved California Tink! When we went, Harry Potter land was wide open as they were doing soft opening so we got the run of the place as it was so dead! The back lot studio Tour is really good at Universal as well. LOVED Paint The Night! We've just booked to go back to Florida next year (first class! We got an AMAZING deal) but I would have rather gone back to California as I prefer DLR to WDW. Loved the shopping centre at Hollywood, the Sephora is lush. The walk of fame and the handprints is a really crazy busy area with a lot of people sleeping rough :( so we didn't spend a lot of time there. Six Flags Magic Mountain is fab to visit as well if you're a thrill seeker!

bad-pink-tink

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 11:02:56 AM »
We haven't seen Paint the Night yet since our last trip over there was 2011 (so we haven't seen Cars Land either).
Oh my goodness, you will love it, both of them. Radiator Springs Racers is the signature ride, check out the single rider line or get Fastpasses as the main line gets huge wait times

Be warned for Paint The Night, people "camp out" for up to 2 hours before to get curbside places, especially around The Hub area

Ah I loved California Tink! When we went, Harry Potter land was wide open as they were doing soft opening so we got the run of the place as it was so dead! The back lot studio Tour is really good at Universal as well. LOVED Paint The Night! We've just booked to go back to Florida next year (first class! We got an AMAZING deal) but I would have rather gone back to California as I prefer DLR to WDW. Loved the shopping centre at Hollywood, the Sephora is lush. The walk of fame and the handprints is a really crazy busy area with a lot of people sleeping rough :( so we didn't spend a lot of time there. Six Flags Magic Mountain is fab to visit as well if you're a thrill seeker!

Wow you got lucky. Everything I have read about Harry Potter Land is that morning times get the huge wait times, so my plan to do the rest of the park first. I loved The Back Lot Tour the last time I was there, I plan to do that in the morning time.
Yes I dont like Hollywood Walk of Fame much for that reason, I usually just spend about 3 hours there, go to the Mall and Hard Rock Cafe. Im planning to go to The Grove Mall aswell this year.
Im not into thrill rides, so I have never been to Six Flags, my friends love it though so maybe one year I will get there

twentythingamabobs

• Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 10:33:21 AM »

Wow you got lucky. Everything I have read about Harry Potter Land is that morning times get the huge wait times, so my plan to do the rest of the park first. I loved The Back Lot Tour the last time I was there, I plan to do that in the morning time.
Yes I dont like Hollywood Walk of Fame much for that reason, I usually just spend about 3 hours there, go to the Mall and Hard Rock Cafe. Im planning to go to The Grove Mall aswell this year.
Im not into thrill rides, so I have never been to Six Flags, my friends love it though so maybe one year I will get there

You're not wrong about the Paint The Night crowds - we were so confused our first night at why people had dragged the benches to curbside at 5 o clock! Their view would have been amazing but I couldnt sit that long, we still managed a great view even though we joined at the last minute. Such a great parade, definitely the best I've ever seen. I just loved DLR, the whole place just had a lush atmosphere, I rate it so much higher than WDW.

We loved the Dave and Busters at the mall too :) a really fun place and the food was delicious.

Harry Potter Land is great - we had already seen the larger one at Universal Orlando so weren't too upset at the thought of missing it but we were thrilled when our concierge told us it was open, so surprised at the lack of crowds even the restaurants were dead. You will love it! Just try to keep calm in the locker room as it can get absolutely mental in there! Have you ever done a studio tour? We did the Warner Brothers one at Burbank and it was amazing! Loads of Harry Potter memorabilia to look at and you get to visit the Big Bang Theory set if you're into that programme which luckily we are, huge fans. And also got to visit the Central Perk set and sit on the famous orange couch i was beside myself :)

bad-pink-tink

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 09:29:58 PM »
You're not wrong about the Paint The Night crowds - we were so confused our first night at why people had dragged the benches to curbside at 5 o clock! Their view would have been amazing but I couldnt sit that long, we still managed a great view even though we joined at the last minute.
I did Paint The Night on my arrival day last year. My friend lives in Anaheim and as a surprise she had got me an extra day on my ticket just to go see the parade. We got there around 5.30pm and had an amazing curbside view on the hub, watching the parade come towards us from Matterhorn / Its A Small World path.After we got our spot we took it in turns to get food and toilet breaks.

Have you ever done a studio tour? We did the Warner Brothers one at Burbank and it was amazing! Loads of Harry Potter memorabilia to look at and you get to visit the Big Bang Theory set if you're into that programme which luckily we are, huge fans. And also got to visit the Central Perk set and sit on the famous orange couch i was beside myself :)

I looked into that, I really want to go there, maybe next year,

haribosmum

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 11:30:52 AM »
I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip.  My son has been watching you tube videos that have Cars Land on it and it made me start wondering about a visit to Disneyland rather than Disney World Florida.  But hubby isn't so keen on that idea, I'm going to work on it!  I wonder if it would even be worth us doing a quick flight from Stansted to Dublin and then getting the direct flight with pre clearance. 
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

bad-pink-tink

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 11:48:35 AM »
I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip.  My son has been watching you tube videos that have Cars Land on it and it made me start wondering about a visit to Disneyland rather than Disney World Florida.  But hubby isn't so keen on that idea, I'm going to work on it!  I wonder if it would even be worth us doing a quick flight from Stansted to Dublin and then getting the direct flight with pre clearance.

Check my previous trip reports
2014 http://www.magicforum.eu/index.php?topic=17335.0
2015 http://www.magicforum.eu/index.php?topic=19297.0

I will do this years aswell when I get back. For DLP regulars I would defiantly advise California over Florida as the two are very much the same layout and size.

Florida is alot more intense, more parks, many onsite resort type hotels, online restaurant and Fastpass booking months in advance.

California only has 3 onsite hotels which are alot more expensive than the Florida onsite hotels. Many of the offsite hotels have a shorter walk or just the same walk as onsite hotels, all offsite hotels have shuttle transport too. California has the same Fastpass system as DLP and restaurant booking is similar to DLP as in 60 days out, and many can be booked the week before or day before.

Just be aware though if you do fly from Stansted with Ryanair and then do the Air Lingus direct to LA that Ryanair checked luggage is 15kg where as Air Lingus transatlantic is 23 kg. Ryanair fly into Dublin terminal 1. You would have to collect your bags , then go up to Terminal 2 and check in with Air Lingus, the walk is about 20 minutes between the two terminals. On your return journey you would have to do the reverse, land with Air Lingus in Terminal 2, collect your bags and then go down to Terminal and bag drop with RyanAir.

haribosmum

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 01:16:02 PM »
Good thinking on the plane baggage and connections, if I propose a strategy to hubby it is good to know these types of details.  My mum has been to LA a couple of times recently.  It had never really crossed my mind before but am definitely going to investigate more.  Thanks for your help and have a fantastic time !!!
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20