ADVERTISEMENT - LOGIN OR REGISTER TO HIDE

Hong Kong and Tokyo Disney

Author Topic: Hong Kong and Tokyo Disney  (Read 3404 times)

rebecca20

• You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!
Hong Kong and Tokyo Disney
« on: November 01, 2015, 10:37:31 PM »
So guys, I am planning on going around Asia in 2017. This obviously means trips to both Hong Kong and Tokyo Disney are essential - I know it's not going to be cheap but this is a once in a lifetime before I really settle down and get a mortgage etc trip.

My questions are:

How long am I likely to need in the parks - to do everything including character meals?
How did you find the language barrier? I can speak / read some Japanese and Traditional Chinese - but not simplified typical!
Do you have a favourite hotel?
If you've met Shellie May / Duffy, Angel / Stitch where? (Don't judge, I know I'm obsessed)

Please answer for both or either resort - thank you in advance :)
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

stifle

• Substitutiary Locomotion
Re: Hong Kong and Tokyo Disney
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
I can only answer a little bit from Tokyo Disney Resort.

Shellie May and Duffy were around the fountain at the entrance to TDS when we visited.

Cast members at TDR have mostly in my experience very limited English. They recommend going to Guest Relations if you need someone who speaks English, the practicality of which I will leave as an exercise. I speak very basic Japanese so could get by. If you are not confident then I suggest eating at buffets etc.

It was extremely busy when we went, even during the week, in August.

DisneyDuckLover

• Give a little whistle
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 09:28:13 PM »
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram:
@DisneyDuckLover

I visit DLP regularly as a Dreams AP guest, and in the past year have visited HKDL and WDW.

My next long haul trip is Disneyland in California.

I am obsessed with the Disney duck gang!

rebecca20

• You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 09:38:03 PM »
Oh my goodness it looks amazing.

DisneyDuckLover? Was there a language barrier - I know HK is a British Colony but I don't speak or read any Simplified Chinese.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

DisneyDuckLover

• Give a little whistle
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 10:26:01 PM »
There was not a language barrier - all the characters and their attendants speak excellent English.
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram:
@DisneyDuckLover

I visit DLP regularly as a Dreams AP guest, and in the past year have visited HKDL and WDW.

My next long haul trip is Disneyland in California.

I am obsessed with the Disney duck gang!

MattR

• Hakuna Matata
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 10:43:54 PM »
Iīve been to TDL a lot of times.

As already mentioned most cast members speak hardly any english at all and some of the shows are in Japanese only (magic lamp theater ...).

If you get a ticket for one day you canīt switch parks. Park switching is only allowed from the third day onwards.If you only want to visit what isnīt available in Paris I would say two days in the off season are okay however I would recommend three days. During peak seasons you easily need three days per park, waiting for 3 or 4 hours for one ride is standard.

If you want to stay in a Disney Hotel you have to book way in advance for instance the hotels for 2015 were already booked out back in August except for some suites.

If you donīt stay in the Disney Hotels or at least in one of the official hotels you might not be able to enter the park on high season days. I have only stayed at the Sheraton once during my / our visits. The other times I went there from my house in Tokyo.

TikiRosita

• Give a little whistle
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 12:35:33 PM »
I've been to HK Disneyland - there's no language barrier at all, all CMs speak English. All the shows/rides were English language - and Jungle Cruise has 3 separate queues for English, Cantonese and Mandarin skippers.

Duffy and Shellie May meet just as you enter the park, on the right hand side :)

I spent 2 days in HKDL and it was perfect, met all the characters, watched both parades and did all the rides (Mystic Manor several times!). I didn't wait longer than 20 minutes for any rides, and this was a Saturday and Sunday in early Christmas season.

I would just bear in mind major Chinese holidays for planning your HKDL dates. The majority of visitors to HKDL are from mainland China so dates are around Chinese New Year particularly would be extremely busy.
Disneyland Paris - Feb 2014 / Hong Kong Disneyland - November 2015 / Walt Disney World - March 2016 / Disneyland Paris - October 2016

Becky92

• Give a little whistle
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »
I go to Tokyo in 3 weeks, the planning process to far hasn't that much different. Staying off site as with all our trips, so makes dining reservations etc a bit harder.
Had no problem with language barrier as of yet, minus booking universal studios tickets for Osaka... no english booking site! It's really enjoyable to do, some great websites out there with trip reports, fb groups, forums that help along the way... I couldn't have booked it without these. Really looking forward to it!
DLP x 2, WDW x 1, TDR May 2016 :)

ADVERTISEMENT - LOGIN OR REGISTER TO HIDE