Marceline
ADVERTISEMENT - LOGIN OR REGISTER TO HIDE

WDW as a family of 4

Author Topic: WDW as a family of 4  (Read 3792 times)

daddyof2

• You can fly! You can fly! You can fly!
WDW as a family of 4
« on: April 07, 2015, 11:07:27 PM »
I'm thinking a few years ahead (I'm sure I'm not alone). Our children will be 8 and 6 in 2018, which I think is about the youngest I'd want to take them to Florida/WDW. I think that if there's a large group, then a villa works out cheapest but we're unlikely to be in a position to be travelling with anyone else so will be going as a family of 4. What have other people done in similar situations? And did you spend a whole 2 weeks around WDW?

Woodlandgirl

• Give a little whistle
Re: WDW as a family of 4
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 12:13:23 AM »
This is definitely one for me! We just went in August last year (my 9th time) with my 2 sons 4&6 and my partner. In the past we've gone as a group and stayed in villas as well as on our own (before children came along) in hotels. This time we opted for a viilla on our own as we wanted the pool to ourselves. We've enjoyed the villas as a group and I love the relaxed atmosphere getting back from the parks and going in the pool and chilling out with a cocktail in the hot tub once the kids are in bed - beats a hotel room hands down!
We booked our flights, villa and car hire ourselves as it works out cheaper. We found a great villa off the 192 it cost us £1000 for 2 weeks for a 4 bed villa with own pool n hot tub. Proper 10-15 mins to Disney - but beware some villas on the 27 are quite far away even though they say "just minutes from Disney"!! You can pay twice or 3 times that so you'll have lots of homework to do but my advice is the older villa estates off 192 (on funnie steed road) are cheaper but closer as are usually older in style inside - may look a bit old fashioned. Those on Windsor Hills estate are lovely but much more expensive as newer but you can see Disney fireworks you are closer than some onsite Disney hotels! I use google to see the real locations of villas and do driving directions to find out times to parks before I decide which one to book.
This time we only did Disney as boys a bit younger but next time we go we will do universal too (2017 boys will be 7&9) but that's more for me then!! Bigger thrills at Universal but sufficient at Disney if children don't need huge roller coasters. You can easily fill every day of a 2 week holiday with a theme park (4 Disney plus prob need 2 at MK, 2 universal parks, Seaworld, Busch gardens,  waterparks etc - soon adds up!). Like I said this time we only did Disney and had a complete day off in between each one so it was actually a relaxing holiday  :D. But it wasn't our first time and I knew it wouldn't be our last so I didn't feel the pressure to try to do it all.
I cannot recommend a villa highly enough but obvs depends on budget and what you/children prefer to do. What are your priorities - if you want to stay in the Disney bubble then maybe you will be best off in a Disney hotel but if you're staying offsite any way then in my opinion a villa is the way to go.

daddyof2

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 08:46:05 AM »
I really appreciate your reply, do you feel you're missing out on anything - atmosphere, extra Magic hours, etc, by staying off site? Looking at everything, WDW is obviously much larger and spread out than DLP so even staying "on site" will mean a bit of a trek to the parks, so the drive in every day shouldn't be a headache. How did it work out on a cost basis? Our budget has a bit of elasticity (especially this far out) but some semblance of value for money would be good, hence I've not yet stayed in DLH at DLP, as the cost difference is verging on silly

minnieme

• Hakuna Matata
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 09:09:27 AM »
We went to WDW for the first time in 2008 (before my second child was born) and took our then 5 year old. We stayed at Pop Century, as it was cheap but still Disney. We hired a car and drove everywhere. Apart from breakfast, we spent very little time at the hotel, as we crammed so much in. We are currently planning to go again with my eldest, who will be 13 then, and my 7 year old. We are also going with my brother and his children. If we were going as a family of 4 we would definitely stay offsite in a villa, as I don't think we would lose out on the Disney feeling, but as we are going with others, they want to stay in a Disney hotel, so we are doing that.

April 2011 & June 2012 Hotel New York
May 2013 Disneyland Hotel
Aug 2014 Disney Magic Med cruise
Aug 2014 Disneyland Hotel
May 2015 Disneyland Hotel

Rapunzel1

• Hakuna Matata
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 11:02:53 AM »
We went twice as a family of six to WDW. First time we went in October. We spend three days in Orlando. We went one day in Magic Kingdom, one day in Seaworld and one day at Kennedy space center. The next year we went in February. We spend a whole week in Orlando. We had a five day hopper pass for the Disney parcs (except the waterparcs).

Both times we stayed off site. We booked an appartment at the Floridays Resort. That is a resort on Universal Drive. Close to seaworld and a very short drive to WDW. We loved it there. We had our own kitchen. A supermarket within walking distance. And the hotel did provide a shuttle service (but we didn't use it). The second time we also drove to St. Augustine. That is the great thing about Orlando. It is very convenient for great daytrips. Boggy creek is also really nice. And WDW of course. We booked our hopper pass in Advance and it was emailed to us. We all just loved Epcot. Animal Kingdom was also mice for a day. And the shows are fantastic. Too bad there are not such shows in Paris.

Woodlandgirl

• Give a little whistle
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 02:51:05 PM »
I really appreciate your reply, do you feel you're missing out on anything - atmosphere, extra Magic hours, etc, by staying off site? Looking at everything, WDW is obviously much larger and spread out than DLP so even staying "on site" will mean a bit of a trek to the parks, so the drive in every day shouldn't be a headache. How did it work out on a cost basis? Our budget has a bit of elasticity (especially this far out) but some semblance of value for money would be good, hence I've not yet stayed in DLH at DLP, as the cost difference is verging on silly

Hi sorry not been on for ages so not replied- you've prob looked into it by now but basically you can get a 4 bed room villa in the Disney area for about the same price as a standard room to sleep 4 in a value disney hotel (depending on what villa/hotel you choose of course). I've never felt like we were missing out on Disney Extras as extra magic morning hours in florida are from 7or8 am for just 1 hour before the park opens - we would struggle to get our bottoms in gear to make the most of it Vs the savings of staying off site. The evening extra hours are longer but too late for us with young children. I have friends that only evry stay onsite at Disney - i feel like they are missing out! Sooo much to see and do in the area that I'd feel trapped just in Disney! Plus she likes her husband more than I like mine! Ha!
The only hotels you can walk to the Theme parks (and not all 4 themeparks) from would cost around £4-5K for familly of 4 for 2 weeks in August and that's still 4 sharing 1 hotel room! We spent one night at the Boardwalk hotel - it was lovely and pleased we did it but i wouldnt want to spend 2 weeks in a small hotel room. Have you considered a split stay - half Disney and Villa or hotel elsewhere - maybe near Universal? Hope this helps.

seraphelle

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 04:40:05 PM »
I'm watching this with interest too as we're thinking of doing WDW in the next couple of years. A quick quote on Virgin staying in Port Orleans came to an eye-watering figure so we may try the villa thing. How terrifying is it exactly driving in USA? Are the carparks close to Disney numerous and free or hellish and expensive?  :D
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d’Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

DisneyRon

• Substitutiary Locomotion
  • 2nd star to the right and straight on 'til morning
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 04:40:43 PM »
Do keep in mind that in many cases you'll want to avoid the park that has EMH like the plague, as it's going to be the busiest. Getting one that doesn't have either will probably let you do more with your day, even if it's open for a shorter period of time, because the wait times will be shorter. :)

@Seraphelle : They're not free if you're staying off site I believe, but I couldn't tell you a price. I was staying on site, and taking the bus to the parks. :) However they're not too far from the parks, and they have trams travelling between the car parks and the parks, so you don't need to walk the extra distance.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:42:30 PM by DisneyRon »

daddyof2

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 12:06:00 AM »
Woodlandgirl - excellent point about having to share a room.
I'm still undecided - perhaps I'm thinking too hard about it so far out. Will see how things go though

seraphelle

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 10:33:18 AM »
Do keep in mind that in many cases you'll want to avoid the park that has EMH like the plague, as it's going to be the busiest. Getting one that doesn't have either will probably let you do more with your day, even if it's open for a shorter period of time, because the wait times will be shorter. :)

@Seraphelle : They're not free if you're staying off site I believe, but I couldn't tell you a price. I was staying on site, and taking the bus to the parks. :) However they're not too far from the parks, and they have trams travelling between the car parks and the parks, so you don't need to walk the extra distance.

Oh cool, thank you  :)

DisneyRon

• Substitutiary Locomotion
  • 2nd star to the right and straight on 'til morning
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 12:01:47 PM »

Found actual fees. :D
Quote from: Disney World FAQs
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/directions-parking/parking-costs
Q.
How much does it cost to park at the parks?
A.
The rate depends on your vehicle, but each theme park lot charges the same rate per day.

Automobile, taxi, limo or motorcycle: $17 USD
Camper, trailer or RV: $18 USD
Bus or tractor trailer: $21 USD

Once you pay for the day, you may park at any of the theme parks.

If you are a Guest of a Disney Resort hotel, you receive complimentary parking at Disney theme parks for the length of your Resort stay. You must present valid Disney Resort hotel identification to enter the parking lots. Parking is also complimentary with select Annual Passes.

seraphelle

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 02:05:38 PM »

Found actual fees. :D
Quote from: Disney World FAQs
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/directions-parking/parking-costs
Q.
How much does it cost to park at the parks?
A.
The rate depends on your vehicle, but each theme park lot charges the same rate per day.

Automobile, taxi, limo or motorcycle: $17 USD
Camper, trailer or RV: $18 USD
Bus or tractor trailer: $21 USD

Once you pay for the day, you may park at any of the theme parks.

If you are a Guest of a Disney Resort hotel, you receive complimentary parking at Disney theme parks for the length of your Resort stay. You must present valid Disney Resort hotel identification to enter the parking lots. Parking is also complimentary with select Annual Passes.

That's actually much less than I was expecting! Thanks again  :D xx